Cheesy Skillet Pasta
- 1 lb pasta such as casarecce
- 1½ – 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 16 oz tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- In a large sauce pan, boil water and cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Set aside
- Meanwhile ,in a oven proof skillet ( I used my Lodge cast iron), heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Saute onion about 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Add salt, pepper, basil and tomato puree. Cook until heated through stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to broil.
- Add garlic to tomato puree mixture, cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir in pasta.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Place under broiler for 5-10 minutes. This will depend on your broiler and how dark you want your cheese..
- Remove from oven. Serve immediately with delicious garlic bread and a salad.